Brutal Murder Solved

( – A long-mysterious criminal case in which an American teen girl vanished on a Caribbean island and was brutally murdered 18 years ago has now been resolved after the suspect, a convicted killer from the Netherlands, fully confessed.

The main suspect in the 2005 disappearance of Natalee Holloway in Aruba, a Dutch territory, Joran van der Sloot, confessed to killing her and getting rid of her body.

In a surprising twist, he’s also pled guilty to trying to blackmail Holloway’s mother years after the incident, a U.S. judge announced on Wednesday, AP and Newsmax report.

This revelation was made in an Alabama federal courtroom close to where Holloway grew up.

“You changed the course of our lives and you turned them upside down. You are a killer,” Beth Holloway, Natalee’s mother, told van der Sloot in court.

Interestingly, van der Sloot hasn’t been charged with Holloway’s death. He received a 20-year sentence for extortion and wire fraud crimes in the U.S.

However, this sentence will be served simultaneously as a 28-year term he’s already serving in Peru. That sentence is for the murder of Stephany Flores in 2010.

U.S. Judge Anna Manasco considered van der Sloot’s admission of killing Holloway when sentencing.

“You have brutally murdered, in separate instances years apart, two young women who refused your sexual advances,” she stated, as cited by The Daily Caller.

Holloway disappeared while on a graduation trip. The last time anyone saw her, she was leaving a bar with van der Sloot.

Though he was a key person of interest, he wasn’t charged. Holloway was declared deceased, but her body remains undiscovered.

Part of van der Sloot’s plea deal meant he had to share everything he knew about Holloway’s mysterious vanishing.

Throughout the years, van der Sloot gave conflicting stories about the night in Aruba. In 2010, during an FBI operation, he falsely pinpointed the location of Holloway’s body, tying it to an extortion attempt. He tried to get $250,000 from Beth Holloway in exchange for the whereabouts of her daughter’s remains.

He settled on $25,000 upfront, with the rest to be paid upon recovering the remains. He later confessed that the information he provided was false.